This review may contain spoilers
Richard Roman Enterprises has purchased Sucrocorp, the world's largest manufacturer of high fructose corn syrup, an ingredient in almost any processed food. It is perhaps a day from the announcement when all the food is contaminated by a turducken pacification drug, but we'll forgive them that dramatic license in favor of a faster paced story. Poor Dean (Jensen Ackles) with no pie safe to eat, forced to subsist on fresh fruit and vegetables. The unintentional torture is exquisite.
To make the leviathan weapon, they need blood of the three fallen: a fallen angel (Castiel), king of fallen humanity (Crowley) and father of fallen beasts (an alpha). Crowley (Mark A. Sheppard) is more than willing to provide blood for Dick's (James Patrick Stuart) downfall, but only when all the other ingredients are collected because blood is a crucial active ingredient in too many other spells. The boys thought that Castiel had killed all the alphas they had collected for Crowley's attempt on Purgatory, but the vampire alpha (Rick Worthy) escaped, and Crowley knows he's in Hoople, N.D.
At the alpha's lair, they find three dead vampires and a young woman, Emily (Laci J. Mailey), kept for the alpha's feeding pleasure. Blood from the pacified is like poisonous acid to vampires. The blood of virgins is a delicacy, and the alpha has children taken and then raised in "pure" environments and fed special diets to produce a private reserve for the alpha. Emily feeds the boys just enough clues to find the alpha, pretending confused innocence the whole time. They are her gift to the alpha, her "daddy."
At the alpha's retreat, they are quickly subdued. Sam's (Jared Padalecki) plan is just to explain the truth to the alpha since if Dick is poisoning all of them, they should be on the same side. The boys came armed with weapons and tainted blood, not waving a white flag; so the alpha is disinclined to believe them. He had a personal meeting with Dick a year ago, and they agreed to collaborate. Still, when Edgar (Benito Martinez) arrives, he has the boys squirreled away in a back room.
At first Edgar is polite and a good ally, but when directly asked about fixing the poisonous blood situation, Edgar explains that the blood kills skinwalkers, lycanthropes, ghouls, as well as vampires. The leviathan don't intend to share. The escaped boys happen by at the just the right time to behead Edgar and save the alpha. The alpha donates the needed blood.
Points Of Interest
1. Television reporter Gloria Jane (Aliyah O'Brien) has been supplanted by a leviathan duplicate. Her body barbequed for Dick's gustatory pleasure.
2. After Dick threatened his mom (Lissa Neptuno), Kevin (Osric Chau) gave Dick his own copy of the translated Word about leviathans. While toying with Kevin, Dick gave him a letter of recommendation to Princeton from a captain of industry (Dick).
3. The boys both believe that the more active Bobby (Jim Beaver) is, the more quickly he will turn to evil.
4. Bobby is able to search the entire vampire lair while his flask is in the car. He probably could have listened in on the boys when they left the flask in the car when they went in to the Gas 'n Sip to discuss when they should vanquish him.
5. The alpha has really long fingernails.
6. Bobby has possessed Louise (Larissa Gomes), the motel maid, who is carrying his flask, and is probably heading for Dick.
7. The leviathan acknowledge that vampires came from leviathans. If they also came from the Mother of All Monsters, Eve, then how does that work, exactly?
8. The alpha has more than Emily making pure blood for him. She is 20 now, but confronted by Allan (Austin Middleton), who is perhaps 10, the boys cannot leave him with the alpha. Threatening their delicate truce, the boys insist that they be allowed to take Allan away.
9. In a fourth wall straining exchange, the alpha says, "See you next season," to which Dean responds, "Looking forward to it."
10. Based on the strength of EMF readings, one can tell how long ago a ghost has departed an area.
11. Dean is depressed that all their allies (Bobby, Frank, Castiel) are missing and unavailable to help. All they've got is the ever untrustworthy Crowley.
12. Speaking of which, at the end of the episode, Dick summons Crowley right under a devil's trap.
James Patrick Stuart is still gloriously fun as Dick Roman. It's clear that the writer's room loves him too since they consistently give him the best lines. It will be a sad day when he is vanquished in the season finale.
Getting blood from the pacified guy on the bench -- as the boys assessed and changed their tactics to most efficiently fit the situation -- was a lovely sequence.
The vampire alpha exercises power in a much more staid and dignified manner. His astonishment that the leviathan won't share seven billion plus humanity with them was cute.
The vampire alpha on why he should believe the boys about what the leviathans are up to: "So now you want to prevent the extermination of the vampire race?"
Dean: "No, but it beats going down with you."
What Didn't Work
Laci J. Mailey as Emily was all shifty eyes and dodgy behavior. The boys should not have fallen for the act of this obvious non-innocent.
Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due
"Supernatural" stars Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, Rick Worthy, Laci J. Mailey, James Patrick Stuart, Alex Dafoe, Osric Chau, Benito Martinez, Jim Beaver, Olivia Cheng, Nick Hunnings, Larissa Gomes, Austin Middleton, Lissa Neptuno. "There Will be Blood" was written by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin, and it was directed by Guy Bee.
About the Author